Sunday, January 29, 2006

Gung Hay Fat Choi!

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!


Today is the day you go to people's homes to wish them a properous new year. Traditionally, you are greeted and given 'lai see' and lots of yummy chinese desserts and fruits. I went to my mom's house and we didn't do the tradtional activities because it's just the two of us, well Auntie Ingrid came by later in the evening. This afternoon, I was suppose to head over to Chinatown with Jasmine to watch the parade and buy some goodies but the traffic was crazy. I circled Chinatown for 30 minutes, could not find a parking spot and got diverted every which way because Chinatown was closed to traffic. That being said, I gave up and let the traffic lead me to my Mom's house.

When I arrived at Mom's, we sat around and chatted for a bit. In the morning, it was somewhat raining, by early afternoon, the rain had stopped for a couple of hours. But by 3:00pm, the rain started coming down hard so hard that when you looked out the window, you couldn't see the street. I didn't really want to go out there but I needed to pick up my weekly shopping list. So Mom and I braved it out there with our rain gear (actually, I don't have any rain gear except for a raincoat and an umbrella but I am seriously thinking about investing into a pair of Burberry Rainboots, yes they NEED to be Burberry...) to Victoria Street to pick up my groceries at the Chinese Markets. We hit three different places before saying it was much too wet to continue. Rain is not so bad, it's the high winds that are a killer. The winds are so cold that they can go through your jacket and into your bones. After the shopping, we waited around for Auntie Ingrid to show up for dinner. Apparently, she was watching a program and would be at my Mom's shortly. We decided on Vietnamese for dinner, yummy! And perfect for this kind of weather. Beef broth soup with noodles, Lemongrass Grilled Porkchop and deep friend spring rolls. A perfect way to end the evening.....

PS new photo on our Family Photo Blog......

1 comment:

Kami said...

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

I totally wanted some Pho for lunch yesterday, but alas, I didn't want to drive for it. I'm glad someone had some Vietnamese. :)