Thursday, January 12, 2006

Friend from Highschool

A few days ago (Tuesday, I think) I was on lunch and running a couple of errands, as I was crossing the street (Georgia/Burrad) an old friend from highschool was crossing in the opposite direction. At first, I didn't notice her until she started hollering my name, I recognized the voice instantly. She has a very happy and bubbly voice, I could not mistake her from a mile away. She is soooo cute. We were crossing a very busy street downtown so when she wanted to stop in the middle of the crosswalk, I started yelling, "Hi Chris!!! I have your email, I'll email you and we'll get together!" A day later, I emailed her thinking oh, this is a really old email, I wonder if she will get it. Yip, she did. She told me she was back in town (permanently, she hoped) and was working on the same street as I. Only a block away! I called her up this evening and we caught up on life. The last time I saw her was at Metrotown around the Christmas season, 2003. She hasn't aged one bit, still cute as ever but a little more grown up. It's been so long.... we caught up on old times and I realized when I first met her, she was only 13!!! Almost the same age as my own daughter. Now that I think about it... I realized why her mother was so upset when she was hanging out with us afterschool! Gosh, I can't believe Kay will be hanging out with her friends at the mall afterschool! But Chris has always had a good head on her shoulders and she is one smart girl. She went to Taiwan right after highschool on her own to learn Mandarin and then right to university, she finished up in Toronto a year ago. All on her own. How things have changed so much in the last 10 years.....

And it's nice to know that when you see someone like that, you have the same instant connection and bond you had so many years ago. It's about the person and your friendship. Over the years, I have seen a few old highschool friends (like really good friends in highschool) but I feel that those people have stayed the same or have changed in a way that we no longer have the strong connection we once shared.

I will be having lunch with Chris on Tuesday, will be sure to bring my camera and take tons of pics :)

No comments: