Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day!

To all the momma's out there, wishing you all a very Happy Momma's Day!

This afternoon, I worked on a garden for my mom (a gift to my mom for the day) cos she wanted to start a vegetable/herb garden. We had to dig out an area by the walkway to set up this garden. It was a nice and sunny day which was perfect for working on the garden. I know some people enjoy gardening but I don't think I am one of them cos it was such back breaking hard work! Ohmygosh! So HARD. After an hour or so of digging up the garden, we realized there was a lot more work involved then just digging the hole! There were many rocks and a couple of huge ones to dig out plus we were working with dirt clay (which is not good for gardening), we had to mix the garden dirt clay with all the "good" stuff (soil, manure and fertilizer) my mom had and naturally, they would be in different bags, large heavy bags! I had to mix the good soil dirt around with a rake and let me tell you this whole gardening business is BLOODY HARD!!! After we got the soil ready for planting, we finally did the FUN PART and planted the seeds and seedlings. First time for both of us in planting a vegetable/herb garden so we kinda winged it. Hopefully, it will not turn out to bad. After planting, it was time to clean up the yard and remove all the rocks and grass. Lucky for us, my brother arrived in time to help clean up and help my mom with her peas and pea fence which was a wired fence that we shaped. Plus we needed the strength cos we needed to drive the posts (for the fence) into the ground and he did that part for us. Plus he's a bit anal and wanted everything at the same distance and height, if it was either one of us, we wouldn't have cared. So now it looks a bit nicer that everything is laid out evenly. But the fence against the walkway is a bit ugly, my poor grandma, she is NOT GOING TO LIKE THAT. After all that hard work and clean up, I am really proud of what we accomplished in the afternoon and can't wait to see our garden grow! See photos for my first gardening experience.....
After gardening, it was time to clean up and get ready for dinner. Before heading out for dinner, I had an early (yes very early!) Christmas gift for my brother, I knew he was going on a couple of trips in the next couple of months so I wanted him to have it before Christmas. He loved the gift and was actually thinking about buying a digital camera tomorrow! Saved him a bit of money and bought one for him :) It was a really great sale, $100 off the regular price so I could not pass it up. We headed over to the Curry King on Cambie for dinner and we (me and my brother) could not believe that is what they choose for their Mother's Day dinner! My brother was hoping they would choose Peking Duck cos he really wanted to eat that. Dinner at CK was not that great (and wasn't expected to be so) and I actually came home with a tummy ache! After dinner, we wanted to go for crepes down the block but the cafe was closed early :( Oh well, mom had mango pudding in her kitchen and that is way less calories than crepes and ice cream! Once we got home, we gave them their gifts and both of them really liked the presents! Grandma received some really nice bubble bath (lavender and coconut vanilla) and for mom, I picked out a really pretty top for her cos she needs some new clothes! It was a great night and a lot of fun. Next weekend, we are celebrating grandma's 89th birthday and we are going for Peking Duck!

No comments: