Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Nuba - Authentic Lebanese Cuisine






After work, I met up with my dear cousin, Nadine for a free wine tasting at the Sutton Place Wine Merchant to try out a local winery called Vista Dora in Langley, BC. We both ended up picking a bottle of wine but not from Vista Dora as he only had 2 types of wine in the store, one of which she already has. My cousin recommended a bottle of the Catena Malbec (2007) since I am really enjoying the Malbec wines at the moment so I picked up one for $30 (a bit more than I would usually spend but I know it'll be worth it!). After our wine tasting, we were planning on having a japadog but the line up at the japadog stand was 30 minutes long!! Oh my!! No way would I stand at the japadog stand in the FREEZING COLD for 30 minutes and wait another 15 minutes for a HOT DOG! We decided to go get a real dinner at Nuba which was quite a walk down but worth it cos it was one of the most amazing meals I've had for less than $30! I am so stuffed and it was SO GOOD! I am sure HonHon would love this place, authentic Lebanese cuisine cos he loves middle eastern cuisine and the food was so delicious! We decided to share "le grand feast" which included pita bread served with a large plate of hummus, baba ghanooj and taboulleh, main entrees included grilled lamb chops and roasted chicken with a GRAND size roasted potatoes, najib's special and mjadra! Phew! That's a lot of middle eastern words in one sentence! Check out their menu online for the descriptions but let me tell you the najib's special is amazing and I've never had that vegetable served up this way! Most of their ingredients are grown locally, organic or free range or hormone free which I love as Kay and I try to incorporate as much local organic vegetables and free range / hormone free meats into our own diets. It's refreshing to know that this restaurant uses as much local ingredients as they can to their menu. I am excited and can't wait to go back! Wish I had better photos but these were taken with my BlackBerry so they aren't that clear since the restaurant is underground and the restaurant's lighting is quite dim. The ambiance of the restaurant is really nice and the staff are friendly and attentive. I would def recommend everyone in Vancouver to try out this restaurant. They also have good vegeterian options which is nice for my vegetarian friends. The restaurant is a bit hidden so you really have to look for the DOOR as you wouldn't notice this place unless someone takes you there. A hidden gem in not exactly the best part of downtown right on the corner of Hastings and Cambie. Be sure to check it out, it is WORTH IT!!!

1 comment:

psychorich said...

Lebanese food is so awesome. I love those puffy breads. But they are only puffy when hot. Yum.