Friday, March 16, 2007

Cambie Neighborhood Disappearing.....

I just found out (from my neighbor) that two Chinese restaurants on our street are closing down due to the loss business because of the Canada Line Construction! That really sucks! We have already lost the Congee House on Cambie / King Edward Street months ago and now the only two Chinese restaurants in our area are shutting down. Now, I don't exactly enjoy eating at Cafe Grosser (yes that's our nickname for this restaurant) but they serve some good HK style tea and their lunch specials aren't so bad if you can stomach the grease. But the other one, Hugo Restaurant is not too bad and they have some great specials esp. at lunch and dinner time. Although, we haven't been there in months (due to my new low cal and salad lifestyle) every once in a while, we do enjoy a little bit of Chinese grease! Already we have noticed all the empty store fronts on our street and this neighborhood used to be a thriving community. Even our local Starbucks has been really slow and quiet! It used to be packed every night and tonight, Kay and I went in there after dinner (around 9ish which is a busy time for them) there were only 4 people in there. Tonight (Friday nights are always night out) is our dinner night out and we couldn't decide on what to eat. Luckily for us, we bumped into our neighbor and she mentioned that the Chinese restaurants were shutting down and suggested we eat in our neighborhood. Our neighborhood Thai restaurant, Sala Thai, is still open for business and will not shut down (even though there is a significant loss of business and not enough money to pay the salaries of their employees) but due to the history in the area, they are staying open for the neighborhood. Because of this, Kay and I felt bad and decided to have our dinner at Sala Thai and gosh, are we happy that we did, even though we ordered way too much food for the two of us. Very yummy and we have now decided for our dinner night out, we will def. make an effort to support our neighborhood restaurants. I just hope Shiro (our Japanese restaurant) will not close down either! We love that place! Staying with the theme of supporting our neighborhood, we decided to rent a dvd from the local video store, Black Dog Video instead of heading over to Rogers Video or Blockbusters. I guess I haven't been there in a while and it seems that I owed $12.00 in late fees from June 2004. But she decided to cancel the late fees since it's been so long! Thank goodness or else this rental would have cost me $17.00!! It was a good night and Kay and I caught up on all the interesting things that happened this week. I have been super busy at work and I guess you can tell that I haven't updated my blog in weeks!!! Just catching up now.....

Work is a whole another post, too much to say about this subject.....

Oh yes, also did a little shopping in our neighborhood boutique.

No comments: