Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Wisdom Teeth



This morning at 9.30am, I had an appointment for an oral surgery, ah, a fancy way of saying, "pulling out my wisdom teeth". At first, I was quite nervous about getting all four wisdoms pulled out (yes, all FOUR) and I'm terrified of needles (yes I have a tattoo on my back but this is why it's on my back cuz I didn't want to watch the needle tattooing my skin!!) Yesterday afternoon, I spoke to a couple of people who had their wisdom teeth taking out and they stated the surgeon used a needle to put the IV into your veins. WHAT??!!?? Sticking a needle in my vein?? Uuuuuhhhhhh NO. I would have re-scheduled the appointment (again!) but it was already too late (this was yesterday late in the afternoon).

I walked into the office with a bit of nerves but everyone at the office was very friendly, helpful and comforting. This surgeon is the best in Vancouver and he is always fully booked, to schedule an appointment, you could be waiting for months for your appointment. But luckily I was able to get an appointment with him within a month as this was somewhat of an emergency. I have been having some major problems with my wisdom teeth, the last time being a very bad infection on my gums (food was stuck behind the wisdom teeth). As I was lying on the chair, he asked me how I was doing and not to worry because this would over and done with real fast. Also looking over my xray, it was going to be a simple procedure, no problems with my roots and my wisdom teeth were completely grown out. As he stuck the needle in my arm, I was thinking about happy thoughts and he told me that I would feel a little dizzy like I've had too many glasses of margaritas. He said it would sting a little bit as the medicine was going in and if it did, he would slow it down. After 20 seconds, he asked me how I was feeling and I said, nope I don't feel dizzy. He said, you must be a good drinker and I said yep! He laughed and asked what I like to drink and I answered, it's been red wine lately (must be my age!). After he mentioned a red wine from France (which now I have forgotten), I was completely out.

Woke up in a recovery room with a bit of a headache, some pain and swollen mouth. There were a few pieces of gauze in my mouth to soak up the blood in my mouth - BLECH!! My father was running late (they wouldn't let me go, someone has to pick me up) and as I sat there in the waiting chair in the recovery room (I was completely awake after 30 minutes, the next girl was lying on the recovery bed), I could feel a little bit of discomfort and swelling but not much more, considered myself pretty lucky as I thought I would have gotten sick from the anesthesia. When my father finally got there to pick me up, they gave him some extra gauze (needed to change it every hour because I was going to be bleeding for the rest of the day), a prescription for painkillers, and my 4 wisdom teeth (yes I wanted to keep them). I couldn't really walk straight and my dad had to help me walk to the car and to the apartment. I lied on the couch for a few hours and finally decided to take a nap. Kay came home afterschool and daddy stayed around to watch out for her and me, I guess. I woke up around 6.30ish, close to 7 and I was famished! I hadn't had anything to drink or eat since last night at 8pm!! We decided to head over to the Congee Noodle House on Broadway because daddy didn't want me to eat anything solid. The instruction sheet from the doctor's office stated that I wasn't suppose to eat anything for two days and only to have clear liquids, no smoking for 5 days. Yeah right. I don't think so. By the time I woke up from my nap, I was ready to eat SOMETHING, ANYTHING. Congee hit the spot and when I came home from dinner, I was competely awake, not ready for bed at all.

I am thinking about taking tomorrow off even though I am feeling fine. Well, I guess I will see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow. Oh, off to watch House!

No comments: