Saturday, June 28, 2008

Breakfast, Bridal Shower and Stagette

Gosh what a busy Saturday! I had so many things to do and with such little sleep and seemed like not enough time, I really didn't think I would make it to the end of the day!

Friday night (after Cirque show), I came home and I started making the dishes for the bridal party (helping Rhoda out with the food). But I had forgotten to leave the cream cheese out so I had to wait a couple of hours before starting on the cheesecake! I ended up prepping the tomatoes for the bruschetta and making the mac and cheese casserole. I ended up baking and prepping until almost 2am! I didn't go to sleep until almost 3am and had to wake up early to meet Rita and Megan for breakfast at 9!

Saturday, I woke up early to meet Rita and Megan for breakfast at 9am and it was so nice to (finally!!) see them, we have been trying to arrange a breakfast date for so long but our schedules are so busy, this date was planned weeks ago! It's been a long time coming, I hadn't seen them since we moved out of the building back in September. By the time I arrived at Rita's, I was starving so we quickly decided to have breakfast at the Dutch Wooden Shoe Cafe on Cambie street. It's so nice to be back in the neighborhood and it's nice to see the street and sidewalks are back. I can't wait to see the entire finished neighborhood, it's been so long since I've been back here. I love the little shops and restaurants in the Cambie Village and would still love to live in the area except the rent is way too high. DWSC is one of our fave places to eat and I haven't been there since the last last time HonHon was in town. After catching up and finishing off breakfast, we headed back to the apartment so I could hear Megan play a song on her piano. Gosh she's getting so good! It was so nice to hear her play an entire tune! She's got talent! I had to be home by noon cos Rhoda and Jacky (MOH) were coming over to help move the food over to the house. I quickly made the bruschetta (this item has to be fresh and I couldn't prep it the night before), we sliced the french baguette and moved all the items into the cars. The house isn't very far from my house, about 2 or 3 blocks away, and once we arrived, we quickly set up the area before all the guests were to arrive. Although the food was pretty good, it was cold and most of these items have to be eaten when it's hot! It seemed that there was a big accident on the Knight Street bridge which caused many delays cos most of the guests were coming from Richmond! But overall, the food was a hit! On the table were:

  • Costco's veggie platter with my homemade dip

  • Costco's and Kent's mom's fruit platter

  • Rhoda's mini pineapple upside down cakes

  • Rhoda's chocolate cupcakes topped with powder icing sugar (I didn't have time to make frosting)

  • Mac n cheese casserole

  • Bruschetta with french baguette (mmm... I did not think it would be too easy to make this but it was!)

  • NY style cheesecake

There were tons of food leftover! We made way too much and we didn't think we would have enough! Although it was quite a hot afternoon, it was a lovely time to be with all the ladies and there were a few games to play with prizes. Ashley (BTB) had a great time and she is such a sweet and wonderful person. I am so glad I got a chance to get to know her. After the games and food, it was time to open her cards and presents, it was a gift certificate theme and the one with the most creative GC wins a lovely prize! She received some lovely gift certificates and everyone knew her well! After the bridal shower, it was time to clean up and take stuff home, lucky for me, I lived a couple blocks away so I managed to walk home with all my stuff. Rhoda had to rush over to the bakery, Fratelli's, to pick up the stag cake and since she had to leave, I stayed to help Jacky clean up. There was a couple of hours to rest before we were heading out for dinner/clubbing with the ladies. I wanted to take a nap but decided not to as I would probably not wake up! After resting (and drinking more coffee!), we started to get ready for dinner. Dinner was at the Italian Kitchen on Alberni and the restaurant is a bit overrated. My dish was not particularly spectacular and the food did not impress me but the service from the wait staff was really excellent. We also had a nice table, up on the 2nd floor with the windows wide open (very warm day) and the atmosphere is pretty nice. The restaurant manager convinced us to go to the sister restaurant called Sanafir but that was quite a disappointment! After drinking our free champange, we headed over to Caprice nightclub cos we had our names on the guest list and we wouldn't have to wait long to get in. After lots of dancing and photo taking (some pretty hot and sexy!), we decided to call it a night of dancing but first we headed over to Blenz for a drink and called it a night. I realize that we were way too old to be drinking and clubbing and lots of the girls in the nightclubs are dressed pretty skanky and it freaks me out cos Kay might be doing this soon!! Aaahhhh!!!!

Sunday, I visited my dad cos I hadn't seen him in a while and I wanted to know how the test results were from his visit to Richmond hospital a couple weeks ago. Plus my brother is on vacation, he's in Hawaii for two weeks so I figured he could use some company since he's been alone at home altho I am sure he's been out visiting friends. My dad is a bit of a social butterfly. My father does not have cancer but he has something else and I am not quite sure what it is cos he didn't explain it to me. After visiting for a couple of hours, we decided to head out for dinner, I wanted something quick and cheap but daddy took us to this fancy chinese restaurant, he dropped me off to get a table while he drove around to find parking but once inside, I realized it was going to be too expensive and we were def not dressed for it! Kay and I were dressed really casual in shorts and tankies! Plus I didn't want my dad to spend the money there so we ended up at No. 9 restaurant for some yummy BBQ pork with rice! After dinner, Kay and I met up with Ben to hit the nightmarkets which were not that good! Either of them (Richmond and Chinatown) barely had any good stands but I wanted one item and it was a fm transmitter for my ipod which I found for $20! I hope it works!

Gosh, it was a super busy weekend and I'm so glad that it's over! (PS. Check out flickr for more FUN pics of Sat. night!)

No comments: